For the project the studio decide to focus on level one of the game as a result there are many object with in the game that are not on the list below. Along with that many of the object that have been listed may change depending on the location of the other levels. here is a list of all the object not including player character and enemies.
Level 1 Map
|Large Rock||Power station|
|Shipping Yard||Command station|
In the week one, we tried to brainstorm an uncommon concept for the SHMUP type of games to create a completely new player experiences. We managed to finalise our PX goal, namely:
“Players will feel a sense of relaxing and entertainment instead of competitiveness.”
In this week, the studio started to discuss about the general mechanics of the game since we listed the game’s objects and elements. We tried to find a mechanic that is relaxing yet engaging. Finally, we came up with an open-world concept game that applies goals similar to many open-world game mission. This we believe that the sense of engagement will be formed through exploration, because it seems to satisfy both relaxing and engaging elements.
Through analysing the gameplay concept discussed with the studio, there are some core player stories that have been identified, including:
- As a player spaceship, I want to shoot a projectile to kill enemy soldiers to eliminate incoming attacks from them.
There is no rewards for eliminating active enemies (armies and tanks). Yet, player would still want to kill them so they can survive longer.
- As a player spaceship, I want to shoot a projectile to destroy enemy buildings for a 10% chance of getting metal ores.
The world that we designed need to be a big military islands, where there are many buildings, camps, towers, etc. Giving 10% chance of metal ores from destroying it sounds fun and rewards players for their effort.
- As a player spaceship, I want to roam the map to collect metal ores to upgrade my spaceship.
By giving 10% chance of metal ores rewards for every building destroyed, we believe players will be motivated to explore the map more.
- As a player spaceship, I want to move up and down to dodge the enemies’ projectiles.
Eventhough the player is designed to be tanky, to make it easier, players would still have to dodge the enemies’ projectiles.
- As a player spaceship, I want to explore the map to locate the core buildings to be able to win the game.
- As a player spaceship, I want to shoot a projectile to destroy all enemy core buildings to win the game.
The main objective of the game is to destroy three core buildings which are scattered in the island. Players need to locate them.
- As a player spaceship, I want to destroy the interconnected buildings to be able to destroy the core building.
The core buildings unfortunately are protected by an electric shields. To make the game longer, player has to destroy the interconnected buildings in order to shut the electric shields off.
- As a player spaceship, I want to fly higher or lower to aim my shot to hit the target.
- As a player spaceship, I want to keep my distance away from the main military base to avoid attacks from a lot of soldiers.
Some strategies and logic are also needed for player to easily win the game.
- As a player spaceship, I want to upgrade my spaceship to look cooler and get better stats on next levels.
From the collected metal ores, player can upgrade their spaceship. Give a better look and stats for every upgrade made.
These player stories would really guide the team to further analyse and develop a player-centered game.